Variator Stem Lab
Variator Stem Lab
4Est. Time (hrs)
- The Variator mechanical model is a device that transfers and adjusts engine torque by changing the gear ratio. This wooden construction kit reveals the mystery and science behind continuously variable transmission (CVT). Use this 3D puzzle to learn about one of a car's essential mechanisms without basting yourself in machine oil!
- Mind-blowing experience: UGears STEM LAB model building is a discovery and learning journey into the world of science, technology, engineering and math. You will assemble a miniature of a fully functional belt-driven friction cone CVT used in cars, motor scooters, snowmobiles, quadricycles, conveyors, metal-cutting machines, etc. Our model building kits for adults guarantee a great time and lots of aha moments.
- Everything is in the box: Similar to other UGears building kits for adults and 3D puzzles for kids, putting together STEM toys is fun and simple: Everything you need to build, learn, and discover comes in a box. Grab some patience and enthusiasm to assemble these model making kits on your own or in good company. These are splendid wooden model kits for adults, teens, and kids aged 8+
- Memorable gifts for automobile enthusiasts: STEM hobby kits and crafts for adults are designed to fascinate you and expand the boundaries of your imagination. Don't miss this chance to surprise and delight dedicated hobbyists and automobile enthusiasts with these model making kits!
- Interact with mechanical models: All STEM model building kits for adults pair with the UGears augmented reality app. Point your tablet or mobile phone at your fully assembled 3D wooden puzzle, and the app will show you various applications of the mechanism you've just built. Order the UGears Variator science kit now to discover more about the mechanical wonders around us!
- Kit contains all required components and no glue is required
- Precision laser cut plywood. Only requires assembly.
- UGears Mechanical Models are self-propelled, mechanical wooden model assembly kits.
- Perfect for family projects, puzzle enthusiasts, and hands-on STEM learning
- 104 parts
- Assembly time: 4 hours
- Model size 168x128x106mm
Assemble it and discover how Variator works.
- The model kit comes with a QR-code to the study guide about the mechanism, the principal of its working, the main characteristics, formulas. It also includes interesting assignments.
- Dive into augmented reality and look at how the Variator works. Interact with the model via a special AR application from Ugears
Find out about the Variator and learn how it works
The Variator is a device that transfers and adjusts the engine torque by changing the ratio of gears. Gear ratio can change automatically, manually or within a pre-set program. The term that most drivers and automobile enthusiasts are more accustomed with is Continuously Variable Transmission, or CVT. With DIY wooden puzzle Variator from the STEM lab collection you can learn and comprehend one of the most important parts of a car without soiling your hands in machine oil!
Who invented the Variator and when
The roots of the modern car CVT go back to 1879 when an American entrepreneur and a pioneer of the automobile industry Milton Othello Reeves invented a device for use in sawmilling that he then called a variable-speed transmission. Later he began fitting this transmission to his cars. The Reeves CVT was also used by several other manufacturers.
The CVT is used in mechanisms, in which a continuous range of gear ratios must be changed seamlessly: cars, motor scooters, snowmobiles, quadracycles, conveyors, metal-cutting machines, etc. To have a better idea about how it is used in different types of equipment, try the AR application that comes with the Ugears STEM model.
The 3D puzzle Variator’s design and how it works
The mechanical puzzle Variator of the Ugears STEM lab collection is a fully functional wooden replica of a Belt-driven Friction Cone CVT. The Cone CVT varies the drive ratio by moving a wheel or belt up and down the axis of conical roller. In the Ugears model kit Variator, the belt, powered manually via the reducer, transfers the rotation to the driven cone pulleys. Use the transmission fork to change gears and observe how the speed of the driven cone pulley drops or rises while the drive cone pulley’s speed remains the same. Due to the open design of the model, you will be able to see the whole process.
The mechanism of the Variator is composed of:
Ugears STEM puzzles are designed to suit different age groups with a special focus on learning component. The assembly of the model will be interesting and won’t take much time.
STEM lab model kits come with all you need in a box.
Just like the rest of Ugears wooden model kits, putting STEM lab models together is fun and comprehensive: everything you need to build, learn, and discover comes in a box. There you will find:
Ready to Build
Ugears models are made from sustainably sourced, laser cut plywood sheets. Everything you need is inside the box, so you can get building right away.
No batteries, no electricity, just Ugears. All mechanical models are powered by the ingenious mechanisms built by you. Just wind up your model and watch it come to life.
Pieces have been designed so they will either click or slide into place. No glue or any other kind of adhesive is needed to build your model.
Models take inspiration from real life inventors and engineers, such as Da Vinci and Galileo. Learn the history behind the model as you build.