Randomizer Stem Lab
Randomizer Stem Lab
4Est. Time (hrs)
- DIY STEM LAB wooden puzzle
- EVERY SIDE OF THE CUBE positioned by the vertex of the octahedron, has a message: one says “YES”, the other “TRY AGAIN”, etc.
- NUMBER OF PARTS: 160, Assembly time: 4 hours
- STEP-BY-STEP ILLUSTRATED assembly instructional manual, No need for tools or glue
- Kit contains all required components and no glue is required
- Precision laser cut plywood. Only requires assembly.
- UGears Mechanical Models are self-propelled, mechanical wooden model assembly kits.
- Perfect for family projects, puzzle enthusiasts, and hands-on STEM learning
- 160 parts
- Assembly time: 4 hours
- Model size 173x122x132mm
Assemble it and discover how Random Generator works.
- The model kit comes with a QR-code to the study guide about the mechanism, the principal of its working, the main characteristics, formulas. It also includes interesting assignments.
- Dive into augmented reality and look at how random generator works. Interact with the model via a special AR application from Ugears.
Find out about the Random Generator and learn how it works
For generations, humanity has been futilely wrestling with perennial questions, such as whose turn is it to take out the rubbish? Who will hoover today? And, of course, who does the dishes?
Those who volunteer to do all these chores have our eternal respect, but what if no one volunteers? The fair way to handle this would be to let chance decide and throw a coin. If you have ever bet on heads or tails, this means you got close and personal with probability theory and its practical application.
Ugears suggests an alternative to the classic coin solution that is not only elegant and fun but has an extra educational benefit. To all questions there is now the answer with Ugears model Random
Generator of the STEM lab Collection.
DIY wooden puzzle Random Generator, as you might have guessed from its name, is a device that generates random numbers and provides different random results based on probability theory. How it does this is exactly what the Ugears STEM model will demonstrate.
The main element of the 3D puzzle Random Generator’s design is a cube with an octahedron inside it that in its turn contains a metal ball to provide weight. This construction is powered by a rack-and-gear drive initiated manually and providing energy through a driven gear that rotates a three-axle gear. This is how the cube with all its contents begins to move, which is important for summoning the magic of randomness. Of course, we can only call it magic until we know the science of it. And to learn it, let us take a closer look at the main structure.
The vertices of the octahedron coincide with the sides of the cube. In this way as the energy of the system expires and it stops moving, gravity suspends the metal ball in the lowest part of the octahedron and due to the inclination of the walls it rolls within, it ends up in one of the octahedron’s vertices pulling in down. Whichever of the vertices turns up in the bottom, the side of the cube it is attached to will be right under it and parallel to the floor. In this way, the side of the cube with the answer will be the one facing up on the opposite side.
The probability to get any of the vertices facing down is virtually the same due to symmetry of the octahedron that rotates freely around the axis of its mass. This leads us to a simple conclusion that the probability to receive one of six answers is 1/6 or 0.167.
Every side of the cube positioned by the vertex of the octahedron, has a message: one says “YES”, the other “TRY AGAIN”, etc.
* An octahedron is a regular polyhedron with eight faces (equilateral triangles) and six vertices.
The mechanism of the Random Generator is composed of:
Ugears STEM puzzles are designed to suit different age groups with a special focus on learning component. The assembly of the model will be interesting and won’t take much time.
STEM lab Model kits come with all you need in a box.
Just like the rest of Ugears wooden model kits, putting STEM lab models together is fun and comprehensive: everything you need to build, learn, and discover comes in a box. There you will find:
Ready to Build
Ugears models are made from sustainably sourced, laser cut plywood sheets. Everything you need is inside the box, so you can get building right away.
No batteries, no electricity, just Ugears. All mechanical models are powered by the ingenious mechanisms built by you. Just wind up your model and watch it come to life.
Pieces have been designed so they will either click or slide into place. No glue or any other kind of adhesive is needed to build your model.
Models take inspiration from real life inventors and engineers, such as Da Vinci and Galileo. Learn the history behind the model as you build.