Pendulum Stem Lab
Pendulum Stem Lab
2Est. Time (hrs)
- The PENDULUM model kit is one of the most basic and reliable timing mechanisms. After assembly, the mechanical pendulum toy (learning toy) works based on the constant amplitude fluctuation under gravity (weight) and the potential energy (tension) of the rubber band. Like other UGears kits for adults and children, this learning toy has a special design and moves.
- Educational Entertainment: UGears STEM LAB helps children to be educational and have fun. Our construction toys (technical toys) demonstrate the basic concepts of science, technology, engineering and maths and help children explore things in the real world. The fun and practical experience of building is complemented by a comprehensive and thorough understanding of the operating principles of each mechanism.
- LIFETIME SKILLS AND KNOWNESS: This new collection of 3D puzzles and construction toys for adults and children is unique as it covers frequently used mechanisms, gears and connections as well as their applications. Our scientific sets (mechanical models) are fun for children. It'strengthens endurance. Everything you need is in the box. No gluing or cutting required.
- Beautiful gift box: with a practical cardboard packaging, the UGears science kits (construction toy package) are an exclusive gift for children and adults. Our STEM toys stimulate the desire for more knowledge and provide hours of fun. All of our mechanical puzzles for adults and children transform into beautiful decorative pieces.
- Interaction with mechanical models: improve your processing experience with the stunning UGears AUGMENTED REALITY APP. Align your tablet or mobile phone to a fully assembled STEM lab model, and the app will show you different uses of the mechanism you have just created. Go to the limits of your reality and order the UGears Stem Lab 3D puzzles now. Discover UGears science sets and robotics for children and adults alone or together with others.
- Kit contains all required components and no glue is required
- Precision laser cut plywood. Only requires assembly.
- UGears Mechanical Models are self-propelled, mechanical wooden model assembly kits.
- Perfect for family projects, puzzle enthusiasts, and hands-on STEM learning
- 92 parts
- Assembly time: 2 hours
- Model size 115x83x167mm
Educational 3D puzzle Pendulum by Ugears STEM Lab. Discover in AR
- Experiment: the model comes with QR-code to a Pocket Model’s Study Guide with a creation story and mechanism design as well as engaging and interesting tasks.
- Immerse yourself in Augmented Reality (AR), find out how the pendulum is used in a clock mechanism, and interact with it via the dedicated Ugears application.
Learn how the PENDULUM works
The Pendulum is a stylised educational model, an interactive study guide to the mechanism, only for learning its essentials and principles of working. The pendulum is one of the basic and most reliable time measuring mechanisms. Its working principle is based on the model's constant amplitude oscillation under the force of gravity (weight) and potential energy (tension force) of the rubber band. The rubber band powers the mechanism of the model and compensates for the pendulum's oscillations' kinetic energy loss. The device is animated by means of gear unit with a windup wheel.
The model has an anchor escapement controlling the frequency of oscillations, a weight, a scape-wheel, gearing, rubber band, ratchet, and pawl reducing operation error. The model has several means to control the frequency of oscillations: the weight of the pendulum bob, the vertical position of the weight on the pendulum, and the tension of the rubber band.
When and who invented it
The first study of the pendulum was implemented by Galileo Galilei, an Italian engineer in the end of the 16th century. He described the property of the pendulum to preserve the consistency of the oscillations. The first person to use a pendulum in a mechanical clock and ensure a steady rate was a Dutch physicist Christiaan Huygens back in the 17th century.
Pendulums are mainly used in mechanical clocks as an element of a launch mechanism and the way to provide a steady rate. In the musical sphere, metronomes that have pendulums as their chief constructional element, help musicians practice playing to a regular tempo. Pendulums are also used in geological surveying, seismography, sports, and laboratory research in mechanics and physics.
The mechanism of the Pendulum is composed of:
The Pendulum is developed to serve as a learning tool rather than a puzzle.
Just like the rest of Ugear’s collections, putting STEM-lab models together is fun and comprehensive: everything you need to build, learn, and discover comes in a box. There you will find:
Ready to Build
Ugears models are made from sustainably sourced, laser cut plywood sheets. Everything you need is inside the box, so you can get building right away.
No batteries, no electricity, just Ugears. All mechanical models are powered by the ingenious mechanisms built by you. Just wind up your model and watch it come to life.
Pieces have been designed so they will either click or slide into place. No glue or any other kind of adhesive is needed to build your model.
Models take inspiration from real life inventors and engineers, such as Da Vinci and Galileo. Learn the history behind the model as you build.