Gearbox Stem Lab
Gearbox Stem Lab
2Est. Time (hrs)
- The GEARBOX model kit is a miniature of a car transmission mechanism that transfers torque from the engine's crankshaft to the wheels. This mechanical toy features one reverse gear and three forward gears meaning layshaft and gears rotate with increasing speed. Like other UGears construction kits for adults and children, this educational toy has an iconic design and it moves.
- EDUCATIONAL ENTERTAINMENT: The UGears STEM LAB helps educate kids while they're having fun. Our building toys unveil the basic concepts of science, technology, engineering and maths, and help children relate to things in the real world. The hands-on experience of putting things together is much more fun and made easier because each mechanism is fully explained. Try and assemble UGears science kits for children and adults either by yourself or in a pleasant company.
- Gain LIFE-LONG SKILLS and KNOWLEDGE: This new collection of 3D puzzles and construction toys is UNIQUE because it is all about mechanisms in common use like gears, differentials and transmissions as well as their application in real life. Our science kits prepare children to stay with it and persevere with their tasks, helping to increase their frustration tolerance. All you need is in the box, no glue or cutting required.
- GORGEOUS GIFT BOX: Featuring an elegant convenient cardboard packaging, UGears science kits make for an exclusive gift for both kids and adults. Our STEM toys will spark a desire for more knowledge and thus provide many hours of quality time. Our construction kits for adults and children also make splendid pieces of home décor.
- INTERACT WITH MECHANICAL MODELS: Increase your assembling experience with the new, mind-blowing UGears AUGMENTED REALITY App. Point your tablet or mobile phone at a fully assembled STEM-lab model and the app will show you various applications of the mechanism you've just built. Expand the boundaries of your knowledge, order UGears STEM Lab 3D puzzles NOW!
- Kit contains all required components and no glue is required
- Precision laser cut plywood. Only requires assembly.
- UGears Mechanical Models are self-propelled, mechanical wooden model assembly kits.
- Perfect for family projects, puzzle enthusiasts, and hands-on STEM learning
- 120 parts
- Assembly time: 2 hours
- Model size 130x100x110mm
Educational 3D puzzle Gearbox by Ugears STEM Lab. Discover in AR
- Experiment: the model comes with a Pocket Model’s Study Guide with a creation story and mechanism design as well as engaging and interesting tasks.
- Immerse yourself in Augmented Reality (AR), find out how the Gearbox is used in a car, and interact with it via the dedicated Ugears AR-application.
Learn how the GEARBOX works
The Gearbox is a stylised educational model, an interactive study guide to the mechanism, only for learning its essentials and principles of working. A mechanical gearbox is a reducer that provides speed and torque conversions from a motor to the driving wheels. After assembly, you can experiment with the Ugears manual Gearbox, by turns, choose I, II, III, or reverse with a kinematic pair of gears with different ratios and, rotating the actuator handle clock-wise, you can watch and control the rotation speed of the layshaft and drive shaft. In a Position “N” – idle in which both clutch gears of layshaft remain uncoupled and idling; the First Gear makes the layshaft and gears rotate with the lowest speed; the Second Gear lets the drive shaft along with the flywheel rotate with an average speed and the Third Gear allows the layshaft and all gears rotate with the highest speed. Switch on the Reverse gear and see how the driving clutch gear moves to the left towards gear “R” and connects to it transferring the rotation to the lower gear arrangement and propelling the layshaft and all gears to rotate in reverse.
When and who invented it
The invention of the gearbox belongs to the famous German engineer Karl Benz.
A gearbox is mainly used in the automobile industry as a part of the car transmission mechanism that transfers torque from the engine's shaft to the wheels.
The mechanism of the Gearbox is composed of:
The Gearbox is developed to serve as a learning tool rather than a puzzle.
Just like the rest of Ugear’s collections, putting STEM-lab models together is fun and comprehensive: everything you need to build, learn and discover comes in a box. There you will find:
Ready to Build
Ugears models are made from sustainably sourced, laser cut plywood sheets. Everything you need is inside the box, so you can get building right away.
No batteries, no electricity, just Ugears. All mechanical models are powered by the ingenious mechanisms built by you. Just wind up your model and watch it come to life.
Pieces have been designed so they will either click or slide into place. No glue or any other kind of adhesive is needed to build your model.
Models take inspiration from real life inventors and engineers, such as Da Vinci and Galileo. Learn the history behind the model as you build.